The Met Office has announced storm names for 2018-19, which means flood season is officially here. The threat of flooding has increased substantially over the years, with climate change potentially making heavy downpours five times more likely by the end of this century.
Companies without a flood plan are much more likely to suffer significant damages that could, at worst, mean the end of their company. We’ve put together some natural disaster recovery tips, to help you prepare for the unexpected:
- Create a flood plan
Preparation is always key, so a flood plan is a must. Your plan should include the following:
- Floodline is a useful contact to add to your list, as it allows you to receive flood warnings directly from the government as they arise.
- A list of all important contacts. Think about building services, suppliers and evacuation contacts for employees.
- A detailed map can help to highlight important properties, protective materials and service shut-off points.
- A basic strategy for protecting property, employees and effective recovery efforts.
- A checklist of procedures for staff to follow during a flood.
- Assess your risks
Natural disasters can create a domino effect that can be very hard to recover from if you’re not prepared. Knowing each risk can help you recover from them much faster.
- Mitigation measures
Mitigation measures help to keep a situation under control. These include locking windows and doors and making sure workplace chemicals or hazards are stored safely so that they won’t contaminate flood water.
- Have a back-up plan
Having a back-up plan in place for broken supply chains and alternate locations can help to minimise downtime, keeping business operations going during the flood duration.
- Protect your employees
Make sure your employees know what they should do in the event of a flood. Prepare them with employee manuals, flood drills and safety training.
- Ensure you have proper insurance cover
Ensure your insurance policy specifically covers flood damage protection, if you’re unsure or would like complete peace of mind that you’re covered, contact us today on 01476 434050.